Re: [opensuse] UUID=>0x and LVM
  • From: Philip Mötteli <philip.moetteli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:06:03 +0200
Hi,

Am 18.06.2009 um 17:15 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:

In <5EC9CC69-3A07-4CE5-A2C0-776B6BDF52E3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Philip Mötteli
wrote:
Now, that I have a backup, I tried the 'pvcreate' command. As you
probably would have expected, it refused to do anything, because it
couldn't find sdc.

If the device shows up when booting from the GParted LiveCD and does show up
when the system boots normally, you are most likely missing a kernel module.

Boot into each and get a list of loaded modules. (Either lsmod or cat
/proc/modules.)

RescueCD:

ipv6 207432 16
video 13472 0
output 1560 1 video
mptspi 13396 0
mptscsih 22700 1 mptspi
mptbase 63560 2 mptspi,mptscsih
e1000 92864 0
ppdev 5592 0
parport_pc 16644 0
e752x_edac 9464 0
edac_core 22396 1 e752x_edac
raid10 17380 0
raid456 113936 0
async_xor 2108 1 raid456
async_memcpy 1224 1 raid456
async_tx 1972 3 raid456,async_xor,async_memcpy
xor 13012 2 raid456,async_xor
raid1 17292 0
raid0 5836 0
sbp2 16608 0
ohci1394 23444 0
ieee1394 51760 2 sbp2,ohci1394
sl811_hcd 8180 0
usb_storage 66576 0
virtio_blk 4064 0
osst 39992 0
sym53c8xx 58576 0
atp870u 23496 0
hptiop 9624 0
ses 4820 0
enclosure 4264 1 ses
aic79xx 97880 0
aic7xxx 88992 0
aic94xx 58660 0
ppa 8056 0
raid_class 3012 0
sym53c500_cs 5780 0
qlogic_cs 4056 0
qlogicfas408 3952 1 qlogic_cs
aacraid 51640 0
imm 7928 0
parport 22940 4 ppdev,parport_pc,ppa,imm
mvsas 17428 0
libsas 32772 2 aic94xx,mvsas
3w_xxxx 19928 0
initio 13564 0
gdth 71944 0
arcmsr 17200 0
stex 9032 0
tmscsim 15776 0
dc395x 25848 0
iscsi_tcp 6968 0
libiscsi_tcp 7780 1 iscsi_tcp
3w_9xxx 24812 0
a100u2w 7392 0
BusLogic 57900 0
libsrp 4708 0
libiscsi 19928 2 iscsi_tcp,libiscsi_tcp
st 27656 0
ch 9812 0
scsi_transport_srp 3632 0
scsi_transport_spi 14072 4 mptspi,sym53c8xx,aic79xx,aic7xxx
qla4xxx 44136 0
scsi_transport_iscsi 16892 3 iscsi_tcp,libiscsi,qla4xxx
qla2xxx 178236 0
lpfc 221796 0
scsi_transport_fc 25188 2 qla2xxx,lpfc
scsi_tgt 7920 3 libsrp,scsi_transport_srp,scsi_transport_fc
scsi_transport_sas 15168 3 aic94xx,mvsas,libsas
qla1280 111560 0
megaraid_sas 24776 0
megaraid 35480 0
pdc_adma 5228 0
sata_vsc 4136 0
sata_via 6684 0
sata_uli 3064 0
sata_sx4 8144 0
sata_svw 3724 0
sata_sis 4000 0
sata_sil 6876 0
sata_sil24 10440 0
sata_qstor 5264 0
sata_promise 7832 0
sata_nv 16608 0
sata_mv 17564 1
sata_inic162x 7052 0
pata_via 6416 0
pata_triflex 2716 0
pata_sl82c105 3172 0
pata_sis 7104 1 sata_sis
pata_sil680 4492 0
pata_serverworks 4608 0
pata_sch 2496 0
pata_pdc202xx_old 3536 0
pata_pdc2027x 5484 0
pata_pcmcia 7740 0
pata_opti 2552 0
pata_optidma 3876 0
pata_oldpiix 2812 0
pata_ns87415 2980 0
pata_ns87410 2672 0
pata_ninja32 2880 0
pata_netcell 2068 0
pata_mpiix 2952 0
pata_marvell 2400 0
pata_jmicron 2136 0
pata_it821x 7520 0
pata_it8213 3252 0
pata_hpt3x3 3176 0
pata_hpt3x2n 4308 0
pata_hpt37x 8632 0
pata_hpt366 4468 0
pata_efar 3188 0
pata_cypress 2560 0
pata_cs5530 4156 0
pata_cs5520 4072 0
pata_cmd64x 4368 0
pata_cmd640 3132 0
pata_atiixp 3188 0
pata_artop 3872 0
pata_amd 7364 0
pata_ali 7208 0
pata_acpi 2740 0
scsi_wait_scan 668 0
ata_generic 3144 0

Boot-system:

linear
sd_mod
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
usbcore
dm_snapshot
edd
dm_mod
ext3
mbcache
jbd
fan
mptspi
mptscsih
mptbase
scsi_transport_spi
ata_piix
libata
scsi_mod
thermal
processor

You should have at least one loaded during the GParted
LiveCD boot that is not loaded in the normal boot.

Many, many: 125 in the RescueCD and 21 in the system boot.
In addition to that, most of the modules, loaded by the system boot, are not loaded by the RescueCD:

linear
sd_mod
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
usbcore
dm_snapshot
edd
dm_mod
ext3
mbcache
jbd
fan
ata_piix
libata
scsi_mod
thermal
processor

Load each of those in
turn,

I did a 'modprobe -l' and loaded all those available, that haven't been loaded so far:

ohci-hcd
usbhid

looking for the one that makes a new block device appear

No sdc appears in '/dev'. Is there a way to force this?

Thanks!