Re: [opensuse] Gimp 2.6.6 and TIF
  • From: Matthias Titeux <matthias.titeux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:24:07 +0200
Le Friday 19 June 2009 11:13:51 Heinz Diehl, vous avez écrit :
Hi,

I tried to convert a bunch of .TIF pictures with Gimp 2.6.6 on opensuse
11.1 (manually), and quite often I encountered a freeze while opening the
.TIF in Gimp. Choosing the file, clickin' on "import", the file gets read,
and just when it should show up on the screen, nothing happens and Gimp
freezes. Killing the "TIF import" window results in Gimp going on to load
the picture without any problems.

No error message, nothing in the logs, I don't know.
This is quite annoying and makes it a mess to import a lot of pictures.

Has anybody here observed the same behaviour, or has a solution to it?

Hi,

I do not know why Gimp is crashing on TIF import. Maybe someone will be able
to tell whether it could be due to the libtiff library ? You can maybe try to
update it ?

Anyway, to do this I would suggest to use imagemagick and the
command 'convert' in a very simple bash script.
Script gurus will probably find something more efficient but with my limited
scripting skills and convert I can do the batch converting very easily.
Try something like :
for i in *.TIF; (or *.tif depending)
do convert $i $i.jpg; (if you want jpg output)
done;

And it will convert ALL TIF images in the current directory.
Try man convert to see the large number of options and modifications available
(resizing for example is quite usefull).

You should have the package imagemagick installed to get the convert command.

Hope it helps

Have a nice day

--
/ \