Re: [opensuse] Disableing persistent NIC names
  • From: Koenraad Lelong <k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:36:55 +0200
Per Jessen schreef:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Hi,
I have a case where I want to disable the persistence of NIC names.
Actually I have a SuseStudio appliance that has to be used on
different PC's. Every time I put the USB-stick in another PC there is
another NIC name (ethx), and it's unconfigured. I would like to have
always eth0, using the configuration of eth0.
I found it has something to do with
/etc/udev/rules.d/70.persistent-net.rules. Every NIC used has it's
entry there. What is writing those rules ? Can it be disabled ?

You can just delete those lines, and they'll be auto-generated each
time.

/Per

Hi Per,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not a real solution. The whole point of the stick is that an "innocent" user can plug it in, boot and "use" the appliance.
I found out I can't use a live-cd because the ftp-server the appliance contains needs to be able to download files.
But it seems a valid assumption that removing the file (or making it empty) will work. Now finding out when and how to do this.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong
begin:vcard
fn:Koenraad Lelong
n:Lelong;Koenraad
org:ACE electronics
adr:Industriepark 2 nr 12;;IZ Webbekom 2118;Diest;VlaBra;3290;Belgie
email;internet:k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:R&D Manager
tel;work:+32 13 531906
tel;fax:+32 13 531908