Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:50:02 -0400

Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But lilo has some uses, it works on some instances where grub does
not, and thus, I see it as an alternative for those cases where the
primary booter (grub) does not work. It is sound engineering
redundance to have two valid solutions.

One example I can think of - I manage a number of remote servers where I
have no console access. A grub shell would be of no use here, and to
me(!) it's no big deal to boot the rescue system (via pxeboot) and
correct lilo.conf.

I agree that for any machine that's unimportant enough that you didn't invest $75 to $300 for serial console or ip-kvm access the advantages of grub are likewise unimportant.

That's not any of my machines. I'd be embarrassed to have to call a data center and have someone hook up a crash cart and do stuff on one of my boxes. I'd also be embarassed to have to tell the customer their box is down while I wait for said on-site staff, or that they just lost a half days work by switching them to their backup server, instead of me being able to deal with the unexpected immediately for lack of a $200 part (that supports up to 16 servers so it could even be $200/16)

--
bkw