Re: [opensuse] A single 80mm exhaust fan can make an 18 deg. difference in drive temps
FWIW, I didn't see any data in the Google paper itself that supported
the relationship you suggest - perhaps you'd point it out

All of which misses the point. Perhaps the correlation [except in the
extreme] of heat to drive failure is low; but the COST of a 80mm fan is
also low. The chances of getting in an automobile accident are
[individually] very low each time I get into my car - but I always but
on my seat belt because the inconvenience [cost] of using the seat belt
is very low. If a $4 fan makes a very minor improvement in drive
failure probability - then it is $4 well spent.

And the "in the extreme" of this does matter. If the cooling at the
data center fails you can get extreme temperatures quickly, in that
situation the $4 fan helps to mitigate that extreme.