Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:56:11 -0400

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Wednesday, 2009-06-17 at 12:06 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

But lilo has some uses, it works on some instances where grub does
not, and thus, I see it as an alternative for those cases where the
primary booter (grub) does not work. It is sound engineering
redundance to have two valid solutions.

One example I can think of - I manage a number of remote servers where I
have no console access. A grub shell would be of no use here, and to
me(!) it's no big deal to boot the rescue system (via pxeboot) and
correct lilo.conf.

Doesn't grub manage the serial port? Tsk, tsk, too bad... :-P

What do you mean tsk tsk?

All my remote systems have serial consoles and they are perfectly usable with grub or lilo or any text mode boot loader because the motherboard bios can be told to keep on redirecting the console to the serial port after the bios hands off control to the boot loader and os.

However, quite the reverse of what you appear to be implying, grub additionally can be told to use a serial port on it's own. So even if a motherboard bios doesn't provide a serial console, grub can still use a serial port, and of course you can tell linux to do the same so in the case of a cheap desktop motherboard being used as a server (_there_ is a tsk tsk) you wouldn't have bios access, but you'd have everything else from bootloader on.

Lilo can do the same so it's a silly non-issue like pretty much every single issue raised so far.

--
bkw