Re: [opensuse] idea of my office network, use SIP instead of telephone line?
  • From: Adam Tauno WIlliams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 06:25:35 -0400
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 15:05 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Hello. I am running a new small office. The network is now in place with
wireless wifi. Because we all have to work with computer turned on all
the time (all Linux), I am thinking perhaps I can plug the telephone
line to our Linux server which has a modem on it, and let the linux
server work as a telephone switch.
I want the Linux server to pick up the phone, ask which extension number
the incoming call wants to reach, and make an SIP connection to the
corresponding host (could be as simple as extention 11 map to
192.168.1.11), and the callee uses a handset that connects to his
computer instead.
Is there a software allow me to do such a setup?

Asterisk. But you'll need more hardware than a "modem". Single port
POTs line cards are abundant on e-bay and pretty cheap; what you want
is an X100P from Digium. The article at
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html> is a good
starter.