Re: [opensuse] Re: NVIDIA control files
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:23:51 +0200
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 10:48 -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Roger Oberholtzer<roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

Unfortunately, no. The ONLY desktop effect I get is when I click on the
top border of a window, it becomes semi-transparent. It stays this way
while I move it. Nothing more. I have tried a new user just in case
something is odd in my directory. Nothing works.

I am convinced the window manager is the problem. It is kwin (4.2.4 (KDE
4.2.4) "release 2"). The card is an NVIDIA "GeForce 9400 GT/PCI/SSE2"
running NVIDIA driver "3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.14".

You could be right, it could be the window manager or something else
in the KDE. If you don't mind wasting some time, potentially, you
might try playing with the newest KDE, KDE 4.3 (OpenSuSE has it under
"Factory", I think).

On a test 11.1 machine, I did this update to KDE4 Factory. Then, I
started the KDE compiz setup program. And guess what: it make more
things work. The odd thing is that the settings here have nothing to do
with those in the ccsm program. They seem not to share anything. I have
been under the impression that these two programs were an interface into
the same configuration. Well, that is not the case!

In fact, in the KDE config utility there were fewer plugins to
configure, and fewer per-plugin settings to fiddle with. Even the key
presses are radically different. In the KDE compiz setup program,
starting cube rotation is Alt-F11 (it takes two hands - and I have big
hands!), whereas the ccsm keys are a key+mouse combo. The menu that lets
you redefine the keys does not accept mouse buttons (AFAICT)

All this is not the case with KDE 4.2.4. That still does not work, no
matter which config program is used.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST