Re: [opensuse] A single 80mm exhaust fan can make an 18 deg. difference in drive temps
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:33:39 +0100
On Wednesday 17 June 2009 14:44:21 David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

For the avid tinkerer and opensuse devotẽ note that the loss of a
single exhaust fan can cause internal case temps to skyrocket and the
addition of a single exhaust fan where none existed before can drop
internal temps by close to 20 deg. C. An additional note is
separating/staggering/spacing hard drives in your hard drive carrier within
the case, leaving an empty drive bay open between each hard drive can have
the same cooling effect. Both solutions are near zero cost and help fight
the worst enemy to the life of your
computer/server -- heat.

I routinely check drive temps using the package hddtemp called from
a simple script that will check all drives and give a single line readout
of the temperature of each drive:

#!/bin/bash
for i in $(cat /proc/partitions | egrep sd[abcdefgh]$ | sed -e
's/^.*s/s/'); do
hddtemp /dev/$i
done

I just put the script in /usr/local/bin as 'hdtemp' and call it
from cron with an email sent to myself.

Nice one, David. I was reassured to find my drive temperatures ranged from 33
to 39 deg. C - only a couple of degrees warmer than me.

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E