Re: [opensuse] Re: NVIDIA control files
  • From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:48:44 -0400
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Roger Oberholtzer<roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 09:34 -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:

Roger,

/dev/nvidiactl is a tool for individual (non-root) users to control
the function of their NVIDIA card. To make it accessible to everybody
I set the access mode to 666.

Try it out - I think that could fix your desktop effects problem.

Unfortunately, no. The ONLY desktop effect I get is when I click on the
top border of a window, it becomes semi-transparent. It stays this way
while I move it. Nothing more. I have tried a new user just in case
something is odd in my directory. Nothing works.

I am convinced the window manager is the problem. It is kwin (4.2.4 (KDE
4.2.4) "release 2"). The card is an NVIDIA "GeForce 9400 GT/PCI/SSE2"
running NVIDIA driver "3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.14".

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

You could be right, it could be the window manager or something else
in the KDE. If you don't mind wasting some time, potentially, you
might try playing with the newest KDE, KDE 4.3 (OpenSuSE has it under
"Factory", I think).

Boris.