Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:16:08 +0200
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 10:09 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 11:35 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

The biggest obstacle to good performance on a P2B is the disk I/O.
The onboard piix controller is Ultra DMA 2 aka UDMA33, capable of
about 1/3 the throughput of the last made PATA disks. These
controllers were the last PATA not to require 80 wire cables for
reliable performance at max speed. I used to use SCSI instead of PATA
on i440BX to get around that bottleneck, but took the last of my
100FSB systems out of service several months ago.

They use the SCSI interface on the motherboard. We have always tried
to get our users to invest in good disks.

Roger, I have about a hundred 1/2" SCSI/SCA drives in varying sizes,
ranging from 9 to 72Gb, most either 18Gb or 36Gb - would your customer
be interested in purchasing some of those? (SCA drives are getting
increasingly expensive and rare).

I can pass this on to those of our customers still using SCSI. Most have
moved to SATA. If there are any bites, I will pass then your way.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB