Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:01:46 +0200
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 11:35 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

The biggest obstacle to good performance on a P2B is the disk I/O. The
onboard piix controller is Ultra DMA 2 aka UDMA33, capable of about 1/3 the
throughput of the last made PATA disks. These controllers were the last PATA
not to require 80 wire cables for reliable performance at max speed. I used
to use SCSI instead of PATA on i440BX to get around that bottleneck, but took
the last of my 100FSB systems out of service several months ago.

They use the SCSI interface on the motherboard. We have always tried to
get our users to invest in good disks.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST