Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:00:43 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2009/06/16 21:26 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

I don't the efficiency of a desktop PC is really much of a topic.
When we're talking about computational power per unit-of-energy, it's
not very useful to talk about a system that is idling and in
power-save
mode most of the time. In fact, I have to wonder if average power
consumption on the desktop really is up - I would have thought
power-saving measures have become so much better in just the last 2-3
years, that average consumption would have gone down.

I don't see how anyone could infer our discussion applies to systems
in power saving modes.

You were talking about desktops and/or workstations - the usual work
profile for such systems is tied to how people work, and there is
plenty of opportunity for a system to reduce power when not in use.
Reduce CPU frequency and what have you. An vanilla openSUSE
installation comes with powersaved which is AFAIK meant to govern some
or all of those measures. (CPU frequency scaling for instance). AMD
CPUs also have very good built-in power management features.

I've never see stats to translate theoretical power saving
improvements into what happens in real life.

In large offices, modern PCs with various kinds of power saving measures
have reduced energy consumption considerably - not just the energy
needed for the PCs, but also the energy needed for the airconditioning.

The only way to know is probably to put watt meters on similarly
little used old and new systems side by side.

Yep something like that would work. On the other hand I just need to
check my electricity bill to see that my newer systems use less.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.4°C)