Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:22:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2009-06-16 at 16:09 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2009/06/16 21:47 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

I find that shell impossible to use without printed instructions by the
side. The first dificulty being that I have to translate linux names like
hdc5 to the equivalent grub name.

One who has not taken the trouble to learn this translation scheme would
obviously need a cheat sheet of some kind, but that learning is something I
would expect an average 9 year old to be able to pick up and remember in less
than 30 minutes of instruction, self-taught or otherwise. Maybe I'm giving
the 9 year old too much credit, and maybe it is different for those whose
native language is not English, but remembering /dev device c == Grub device
2 and /dev partition 5 == Grub partition 4 is just not a problem for me.

Maybe for you it is no problem, but for me, with many years of experience in computing, it is a problem. It is a developer system, not a user system, because the index is zero based, not 1 - for starters. Partition 5 should be #5, no "maths".

If I were setting up systems often, I'd remember. But I'm not. When I have to do it, a year after the last time, I don't remember if it is zero based or one based, or how do I differentiate the MBR from the partition, or what is the path for the kernel, the image, or what magic options do I have to feed the kernel so that it boots correctly. Or which of the dozens of partitions I have is root or boot, and for which of the several systems I have.

If instead of the shell it presented me with the menu.lst file so that I could edit it, then _that_ would be way more useful, because almost always I know what change is not working before hand. And if not, in the file I have my notes to guide me.

So, no, the grub shell is useless to me. I have to boot a rescue system and edit the config file instead.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.