Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:28:44 -0400
On 2009/06/16 21:26 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

I don't the efficiency of a desktop PC is really much of a topic. When
we're talking about computational power per unit-of-energy, it's not
very useful to talk about a system that is idling and in power-save
mode most of the time. In fact, I have to wonder if average power
consumption on the desktop really is up - I would have thought
power-saving measures have become so much better in just the last 2-3
years, that average consumption would have gone down.

I don't see how anyone could infer our discussion applies to systems in power
saving modes. Whatever gets used in those modes isn't materially related to
what gets used when the systems are actually _used_. None of my systems are
ever allowed into a "power saving mode", other than being turned off when
unneeded.

Probably newer systems are better at getting into and out of power savings
modes. I've never see stats to translate theoretical power saving
improvements into what happens in real life. The only way to know is probably
to put watt meters on similarly little used old and new systems side by side.

My electric consumption here is up roughly 300 watts/month (20-30%) over 10
years ago, even though nearly everything since acquired is supposedly more
efficient than whatever it replaced, and insulation has been since added.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/