Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 21:26 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Average power consumption on the desktop is up, even though efficiency
is up too. RAM often now requires heatsink cooling, another sign of
increased power consumption, on top of generally increased RAM
requirements of newer software.
I don't the efficiency of a desktop PC is really much of a topic. When
we're talking about computational power per unit-of-energy, it's not
very useful to talk about a system that is idling and in power-save
mode most of the time. In fact, I have to wonder if average power
consumption on the desktop really is up - I would have thought
power-saving measures have become so much better in just the last 2-3
years, that average consumption would have gone down.

We have ~300 workstations/desktops and we measured power consumption as
part of a cost analysis. Newer desktops used less power, period,
no-contest. To get useful results you need a meter that can record
power consumption over time (several days), just using a watt-meter
gives meaningless results. Note that we are talking about 'normal'
business-class desktops and not some gaming hot-rod which.

And speaking of power: older CRTs vs. LCD is also a no-contest issue.

Power consumption should figure into the equation whether to take
equipment out of service, not just whether kernels still support old
hardware (thread topic).
Well, the openSUSE kernel CPU support issue has long been cleared up -
Pentium I's are still supported, period. Wrt power consumtion, I
completely agree - except my experience is that modern systems use less
energy.

Our dual-quad servers consume less power than some of the [very] old
dual PIIIs we buried out behind the sheds.