Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:26:38 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

I would expect a single quad core system replacing a quad CPU system
could save overall, but that's not a majority upgrade scenario. Quad
CPU systems were never big sellers. Home and office desktops far
outnumber servers.

Certainly. We're not, well I wasn't, talking about global savings, it's
a local consideration. I have no idea whether quad-CPU servers
were "big sellers", but I've got four quad Xeons and one 8-way Xeon to
go if anyone wants them. Another few more quads are being replaced in
the next 3-6 months. We're late, but as I said conservative.

Average power consumption on the desktop is up, even though efficiency
is up too. RAM often now requires heatsink cooling, another sign of
increased power consumption, on top of generally increased RAM
requirements of newer software.

I don't the efficiency of a desktop PC is really much of a topic. When
we're talking about computational power per unit-of-energy, it's not
very useful to talk about a system that is idling and in power-save
mode most of the time. In fact, I have to wonder if average power
consumption on the desktop really is up - I would have thought
power-saving measures have become so much better in just the last 2-3
years, that average consumption would have gone down.

Power consumption should figure into the equation whether to take
equipment out of service, not just whether kernels still support old
hardware (thread topic).

Well, the openSUSE kernel CPU support issue has long been cleared up -
Pentium I's are still supported, period. Wrt power consumtion, I
completely agree - except my experience is that modern systems use less
energy.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.9°C)