Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:07:26 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2009/06/16 19:24 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

Oh, and the modern speedy systems make better room heaters too. That
and the added electricity they consume may be another reason to keep
the old stuff online until it expires on its own.

Maybe it's a case of YMMV, but my experience is exactly the opposite
- we've very recently replaced a number of older Compaq Proliant
quad-PIII 700MHz machines with a single modern 8-core 2.8GHz HP
Proliant. The new box does quite a lot more work per kwH. Older
single-core systems really are a lot less energy efficient.

A quad PIII is anything but run of the mill. More typical PIII
machines can get by on 120 watt or less power supplies, with 200 or
225 typically installed, instead of a demand for 300 watt or more
like in current systems. 40mm & 60mm fans worked for PIII coolers. Few
current chips are happy with less than 80mm fans for their coolers,
and 90mm isn't unusual.

Gfxcards used to need no chip coolers. Now passive coolers aren't even
enough. Those large active gfxcard coolers mean a lot more heat is
generated in modern systems.

Newer might be slightly more efficient per MHz, or even considerably
more, but they're mostly running at 3-10 times the MHz, with highly
demanding gfxcards, so doing more room heating and watt consumption on
average.

Felix, like I said, YMMV - you're clearly talking about office/home
desktops and workstations, whereas I'm talking about servers in racks
in a datacentre. Our servers have at least two power supplies,
multiple hot-plug redundant fans etc etc. We tend to be quite
conservative wrt upgrading hardware, but our recent upgrades have
reduced both electricity and airconditioning costs.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.2°C)