Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:24:24 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

Oh, and the modern speedy systems make better room heaters too. That
and the added electricity they consume may be another reason to keep
the old stuff online until it expires on its own.

Maybe it's a case of YMMV, but my experience is exactly the opposite -
we've very recently replaced a number of older Compaq Proliant
quad-PIII 700MHz machines with a single modern 8-core 2.8GHz HP
Proliant. The new box does quite a lot more work per kwH. Older
single-core systems really are a lot less energy efficient.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.3°C)