Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:44:43 +0200
Brian K. White wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:

Like learning to drive a stick, it becomes second nature before too
long. Grub really can be that easy, which may be why the devs
decided "supporting Lilo" was pointless.

Felix, using the same argument, when lilo really is that easy, why
wasn't it kept? No, that argument doesn't hold water.

Because lilo simply can not do things grub can do.

I don't think that's a good reason for dropping support and I don't
think that was the reason either. It was a fairly simple product
management decision about how best to spend limited developer time.

lilo is valuable primarily because options are valuable even if they
are inferior options. Not because it works better or is simpler or has
any advantages over grub.

Agree - I wasn't trying to argue lilo or grub either way. I use lilo
and intend to stick with it because I (IMHO) wouldn't gain anything but
a learning curve by switching to grub.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.1°C)