Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:17:45 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 11:18 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2009/06/16 15:42 (GMT+0200) Roger Oberholtzer composed:
IIRC that motherboard supports PIII up to 800 MHZ at 100FSB with the
stock BIOS, faster with a special BIOS. Graphics performance from a
PCI gfxcard with a 350MHz CPU might not be acceptable. If that turns
out to be the case, I'd try to pick up a faster CPU and/or an AGP 1
(or 2 I think, but not 4 up) card to use with it. Those common legacy
parts should be available dirt cheap or free many places, eBay or
local computer shops that haven't thrown away all the old stuff. PIII
CPUs require a different cooler configuration than PII.

Even those "dirt cheap" prices, once you gather
CPU+RAM+Video+Shipping, seem insane as a proportion of the cost of a
new and *MUCH* faster and more stable machine.

Earlier this year I bought a couple of Dell desktops - 2.5GHz Celeron,
512Mb RAM, 40Gb harddrive - SFr40 a piece. I added another 512Mb per
box to have decent office machines. Thank you Windows Vista.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.9°C)