Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 11:18 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2009/06/16 15:42 (GMT+0200) Roger Oberholtzer composed:
IIRC that motherboard supports PIII up to 800 MHZ at 100FSB with the stock
BIOS, faster with a special BIOS. Graphics performance from a PCI gfxcard
with a 350MHz CPU might not be acceptable. If that turns out to be the case,
I'd try to pick up a faster CPU and/or an AGP 1 (or 2 I think, but not 4 up)
card to use with it. Those common legacy parts should be available dirt cheap
or free many places, eBay or local computer shops that haven't thrown away
all the old stuff. PIII CPUs require a different cooler configuration than
PII.

Even those "dirt cheap" prices, once you gather CPU+RAM+Video+Shipping,
seem insane as a proportion of the cost of a new and *MUCH* faster and
more stable machine.