Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:56:56 +0200
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 15:50 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I have had a request by a client to see if some legacy hardware is
supported by openSUSE 10.3. Most of the things they asked about I
could sort out. It just left me with this:

ASUS P2B-S Motherboard (CPU - Pentium 2 350/512/100/2.0 S1)

ATI Mach 64 PCI

The system should run KDE 3.5. No fancy graphics effects. I suspect it
could be pushing it with a 350 MHz P2. Even id the graphics card is
decent. Aside from suggesting a hardware upgrade, any constructive
opinions?

Looks fine to me except for the KDE bit - I've just installed 11.0 on a
PII 333MHz with 96Mb - doesn't run KDE, only runs a server.

This does have 250 MB of RAM. I have said that as a minimum, they will
need more. I also asked if the MBs were a standard size. Perhaps they
should update them instead of fighting.

But at least the kernel is happy with this vintage CPU.

Per Jessen, Zürich (21.1°C)

So all of Stockholm's warmth is in Zûrich, it seems. We have had a
really cold June. I expect to see polar bears if this keeps up :)

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB