Re: [opensuse] Java plugin not working in 64-bit Firefox?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:29:25 +0200
I'm having issues with getting Java to work in my 64-bit Firefox... or
any other browser for that matter.

I'm using this page as my benchmark... http://www.tribaltrouble2.com/main
(also I have been using the java.com page and the "Do i have Java" link)

I've tested it on openSUSE 11.0 32-bit using 32-bit Firefox plus Java
1.6 and both the java.com site and the Tribal Trouble 2 site work fine
(Java.com reports the right version and the TT2 game will start).

On my openSUSE 11.1 64-bit install... no web based Java will work.
I've installed 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7, including the Java plugins... I've
checked the settings in the Java Config tool... nothign seems to get
Java to actually work from within a browser. Outside of the browser,
Java apps work fine.

Any pointers?

C.
I use openjdk version. Works fine with Firefox x86_64.
If You have Java plugin already installed try run as root:
update-alternatives --config java
update-alternatives --config javaplugin
The first command help to choose default java vm, and the second one - default
java plugin. More info in wiki → http://en.opensuse.org/Java/setDefaultJava

Ok, after much tinkering with teh update-alternative command...
exiting and restarting Firefox, I seem to have it working... but..
confusingly.. things don't add up so nicely.

java is set to jre-1.6.0-openjdk
javaplugin it set to java-1.6.0-sun.1.6.0
and
libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 points to jre-1.7.0-icedtea
Oddly enough this combination... works... and I have Java working in
the browser.

Thanks for the pointer to the Wiki page.

C.