Re: [opensuse] editor that does not eat out TAB characters
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:05:37 +0100

Dave Howorth wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
Eclipse should run on anything with a Java JRE/SDK installed...

Surely if eclipse was any good, it would have been written in C and GTK+

;-P

Actually Eclipses limitations on Linux (such as they are) are due to it
being written with the GTK variant on of the Java SDK. It started of
life as alternative to SUNS Java IDE, but has kind of wandered of to
some other places. As for some functionality it obviously uses Java
introspection functionality it pretty much has to be written in Java.

Eclipse has a bewildering array of free (and not free) plugins. I
currently have the C/C++ and Perl extensions loading plus some odds and
sods for other thinks like Subversion and CVS. Its main problem is that
if anything it has too many extensions.

It is is the effectively the Open Source alternative to M$ Visual Studio
with significant technical input from IBM.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup