[opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:01:44 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:
Joachim Schrod wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Per Jessen wrote:

Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

It doesn't have the disadvantages of lilo

What are the disadvantages of lilo? (apart from not being
supported by YaST)

You need to update the mapping when you change files.

You mean type 'lilo' and hit enter?

And updating lilo.conf. Which does not work automatically any more
in 11.1, at least not in my installation.

I'm old (fashioned), I've never let YaST do anything to my lilo.conf
except for the initial install. I've also rarely had reason to change
anything in lilo.conf once I've put a server or a desktop PC into
production.

I have kernel rpms set to multiple installations, to be able to
boot an old kernel again if any problem surfaces. This rescued my
a** several times already. To support this, lilo.conf -- or
grub/menu.lst, for that matter -- has an entry for generic "boot
the current linux system", but also entries for each specific
kernel that gets installed. And the latter entries must be updated
for every kernel install. It's not a big issue, but for grub it is
done automatically, and for lilo that's not the case.

Joachim