Re: [opensuse] editor that does not eat out TAB characters
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:10:13 -0400
Maura Monville said the following on 06/15/2009 11:39 AM:
whatever editor I use .. I have not found a way to see the unprintable
characters (Tab).

Help us here.
Why do you need to see the tab as a specific marker rather than as
expanded spaces? If I recall, python only needs the indenting, it
doesn't care what's shown on the screen for you so long as its
consistent, and VI (and I would presume Emacs) will expand tabs on
screen to how ever many display spaces your sweet heart desires.

So what really is your problem here?

Is it that you've grown up in Windows with an editor that shows tabs as
an arrow rather than expanding spaces so you can see the indenting being
aligned? Or what? If so, VI can be configured to show tabs as "^I",
but then you don't see the alignment of the indents. I thought you
wanted to work in Python, so why not use VI's Python mode. Perhaps I'm
an oddball, but I'd rather see the tabs expanded on screen.

Does Python care whether the indenting is via tabs or spaces so long as
its consistent?

What are you really asking here?
People have offered a number of solutions but you seem to be playing a
"Yes-but" game.

--
"Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
"Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.