Re: [opensuse] JAVA conversion tool
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:26:12 +0100

Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday June 13 2009, G T Smith wrote:
Boris Epstein wrote:
Hi all,

Can you recommend a tool to convert a bunch of legacy C code into
Java?

Thanks.

Boris.
Why? It is more normal to port from inefficient to efficient
languages, and C is much more efficient than Java. ...

That is a myth.

?? Nonsense...

Assuming the same programmer writing as near as possible the same
algorithm then the C code should out perform the Java code by a
significant value for most tasks, by being faster (no interpreter
overheads for a starter), using less physical resources (no JRE memory
footprint for seconds). True, the more complex the program becomes the
easier it is to realize that complexity within the OO paradigm than the
procedural or functional language paradigms, which is *not* in itself an
efficiency issue.

This is not a myth but a practical observation of a requirement the
language (compiled Java does exist and I have never used it as I would
suspect some functionality could be lost), no matter how efficient the
JRE can be made it will always add an overhead.

What could be more precise is to replace efficient with 'efficient to
task'. One would not normally write hardware device drivers, perform
heavy duty numeric computing, compilers or low level OS code in Java
(you might prototype in Java for later porting to something else if you
are using any variant of fast prototyping but it would be perverse to
release production code in Java for these purposes).

Java is rather like a swan... smooth and graceful on the surface but
paddling furiously to keep up under the surface...

Randall Schulz

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup