Re: [opensuse] second hdd not recognized?
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:55:59 -0400
* Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-14-09 23:45]:
I installed OpenSUSE in one HDD and connected a second HDD, but this
does not seem to be recognized.
Neither setting the jumper switch on that HDD to "slave" nor "cable
select" does help.

Does your BIOS recognize the drive?

I tried (previously, with that HDD as master) to install another Linux
version on that second HDD but failed.
Now I want to format that disk and try again.
Trying a "new installation" somehow does not work. I get a number of
error messages.
I suspect, that some files from the previous installation are left there
and are "in the way".
Therefore I imagined that formatting the disk might help ...

If your system is *not* recognizing the drive, formatting will *not*
help.

Where do I look for that disk?
And when I find it, how do I format it?

fdisk -l
from the installed system in an xterm window or tty panel.

or boot from a "live-cd", opensuse/knoppix/.... and check for the
drive's presence.

Are the cables good and correctly connected? Is the drive good? Does
it have power?