Re: [opensuse] Problem with sound on OpenSuse 11.1
  • From: "Jean-Claude Lorin" <jlorin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:03:27 -0400
Le Sunday 14 June 2009 13:34:09 Mark Misulich, vous avez écrit :
I shouted victory too soon :-(

When I reboot I am back to square one no sound in Banshee, Amarok or
Firefox, everything fine with Skype and Mplayer. If I then do
rcalsasound restart sound is OK with Banshee, Amarok and Firefox but
not in Skype where the USB device of my external webcam is no longer
seen. I tried closing Skype and reopening it but to no avail. If I then
reboot everything OK again with Skype but no more sound with Banshee,
Amarok and Firefox. If I do rcalsasound restart we are up to a new
round...... ;-(

Anyone can help ?

Hi,
I have had this problem several times. I haven't really found the
answer for it even though I have gotten it working each time after it
happens. It seems that you have gotten the alsa sound working again with
rcalsasound, but it may be that sound isn't working in Flash. One thing
that I have to do after almost every update is to go in to yast and
uninstall libflashsupport. Try that to see if it helps get sound back
in Firefox and the others for you. I think that you may have lost sound
in Flash now, but the other stuff is working.

Mark

I did the speaker test as indicated. Everything fine. I did the Alsa update as
indicated in http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AudioTroubleshooting#Cause. Then
after reboot Skype works fine (both video and sound) so does Mplayer. But
Banshee, Firefox flash and Amarok have no sound. If I do rcalsasound restart
Banshee and Amarok have sound. If I restart Firefox sound and video are OK.
But if I open Skype, the webcam works but no sound. If I restart Skype, same
thing. In the sound options for Skype my external USB webcam is no longer
seen and I get the message problem with audio.

If I reboot I am back to square one, Skype and Mplayer work fine but no sound
in Banshee, Firefox flash again unless I do rcalsasound restart but then it
is a vicious circle again... ??