Re: [opensuse] Install OpenOffice 3.1
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:49:29 +0200
Downloaded OO 3.x
fiddling around with the downloaded package I (maybe!) succeeded in
unpacking it.

Did you download OOo 3.1 from the openoffice.org website?

Did you remove the existing install using the YaST software installer?

But unpacking means, I get in the specified directory zillions of
files/folders that don't do anything.
Somewhere - following a wild guess - I clicked on something that looked
like it might do something.
Started to install -> but then tells me I need JRE, and the currently
installed verion is broken.

Trying to use YaST: Software management -> Search
no matter what keyword I enter, I always get "no such files" .
But the downloaded file is right in front of my nose on the desktop.

How DO I proceed with the installation???
(I have downloaded a few dictionaries that would require (I presume) the
same procedure.)

I don't want to be negative, but under Windows all I had to do to
install OpenOffice was to click on the relevant icon.
Why then do I have to struggle for weeks to get it done under Linux?

It's fairly easy... first read the instructions.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Installation/How_do_I_install_OpenOffice.org_on_Linux%3F

You have two choices with the downloaded version... install from RPM,
or use the graphical installer as described on the Wiki. With
openSUSE you can skip step 3 of the graphic installer instructions -
it should not be required.

Your other choice is to install the openSUSE packaged version. There
are a few ways.. since you want the 3.1 builds of OOo, you need to use
an updated repository.. the default for openSUSE 10.3 is an older
version. Go to http://software.opensuse.org/search and search for
"openoffice_org" and set the version to openSUSE 10.3. Find the
version you want in the list... likely the second result since that is
the stable OOo 3.1 build... click the 1-Click install and follow the
wizards... that's it.

C.