[opensuse] 11.1 RealPlayer and BBC Radio
  • From: michael norman <michaeltnorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:51:19 +0100
One of the things I have always liked to do is to use bbc radio from here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
to listen online and use the listen again facility and record progs I want to
save with audacity or krecord.

This has always worked with 10.3 (I skipped 11.0) and still works withe the
same hardware in both Slackware and Windows XP.

However in 11.1 I find that whilst I can still use listen online and record as
before when I try to record from listenagain both audacity an krecord report
no  sound level.

I am aware of the issue SUSE had with RealPlayer last I saw was here
http://www.benkevan.com/blog/realplayer-dropped-from-opensuse-heres-why/
but I can still install and run either the RealPlayer generic rpm or the shell
installer version.

What I have tried so far :

running as root

creating a new user and running from there

looking at the mixer settings. although I don't think that can be an issue as
what I am trying to achieve works in 10.3 slackware and xp

My conclusion at the moment is that this might be a bug, but has anybody on
this list had the sam problem in 11.1 ?

I am using 11.1 64 bit.  All the other multimedia stuff works perfectly.  KDE
3.5 FWIW.

This might seem trivial as I know I can use another OS or get_iplayer to do
this but I'd really like to get it to work wit 11.1

Any suggestions will be more than welcome

TIA

Mike