[opensuse] Updating VirtualBox
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:27:32 +0300
I elected to delete the previous version (v2.2.1) and then reinstall
v2.2.4, which was probably unnecessary bother.

After removing the older version with rpm -e <filename>, when I attempted
to install the new one, I received the following error message:

*****
No precompiled module for this kernel found -- trying to build one.
Messages emitted during module compilation will be logged
to /var/log/vbox-install.log.

Compilation of the kernel module FAILED! VirtualBox will not start until
this problem is fixed. Please consult /var/log/vbox-install.log to find
out why the kernel module does not compile. Most probably the kernel
sources are not found. Install them and execute

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

as root.

insserv: script lpd: service cupsd already provided!
*****

Inspecting the log entry, on the other hand, tells me a similar, but
different, story:

*****
** Compiling vboxdrv
Makefile:172: *** Error: unable to find the include directory for your
current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_INCL=<directory> and run Make again.
Stop.
*****

These are two different diagnoses. Furthermore, in each of the
suggestions, there are things I don't know how to do:

<find -name "kernel"> shows me many entries; I do not know which one would
be the one to identify, nor do I know where to write "KERN_INCL=...", if
the log entry's suggestion is the right way to go. Anyway, I ran rpm, not
Make.

I am also confused about the question about the kernel module. There was
no such err when I installed the preceding version. I see in YaST that
there is a short list of kernel modules for the ose version of
VirtualBox, but what I have here is what I downloaded from the Sun site.

Can someone help me unconfuse?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on