Re: [opensuse] UUID=>0x and LVM
  • From: Philip Mötteli <philip.moetteli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:17:51 +0200
Am 14.06.2009 um 03:54 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:

In <8FC020C1-D875-4DE3-9C4B-2698A393FADC@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Philip Mötteli
wrote:
One of my clients has a server, which doesn't boot anymore, because
LVM doesn't find one of its hard-drives anymore. It looks for a hard-
drive with a specific UUID, but this hard-drive has changed its UUID
to 0x.

What is telling you this?

fdisk -l

That's not a valid UUID.

Yes, I think so. Even the BIOS has problems.

Assuming nothing is wrong with the drive, you should be able to run pvcreate
and specify the UUID that LVM is expecting and it will write the new PV
meta-data

So allthough the drive has now the UUID of 0x, I just rewrite the old configuration? I mean, LVM already has the old UUID for this drive (hdc). I basically would re-write the same configuration, I already have.

without affecting any other sectors on the drive/partition.

That was something, I was afraid of. They haven't a backup so far.

Thanks