Re: [opensuse] Re: Hardware problem
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:46:10 +0200
James Hatridge wrote:

During the boot the system would find the first 3 disks and then wait
for 30-60 seconds. Then it would go on with the boot. I changed the
cables around making the new disk #3 and my older disk #4. When I
booted then it stopped at #3 for 30-60 seconds then skipped to #4 and
found my old disk at #4. #So I then had disks at #1,#2, and #4.

This about it waiting 30-60 seconds doesn't sound right. That tends to
mean the BIOS has sent off a command to the drive, and it isn't being
answered. Or the answer isn't recognized.

I wonder about the disk being too big because the MB is about 3 years
old and back then there was nothing bigger than about 500gb.

Have you checked the motherboard specs? They might just indicate
something like that - maybe there's even a firmware upgrade available.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.6°C)