Re: [opensuse] Re: Hardware problem
  • From: Mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:23:37 +0200
On Sunday 14 June 2009, James Hatridge wrote:
HI Per,

On Sunday 14 June 2009 09:08:19 Per Jessen wrote:
James Hatridge wrote:
Hi all,

I got a Hitachi 1TB hd last week. I could not get my system to
see it.

Hi Jim - _how_ was it not seen? Did the BIOS not recognize it?

I'm sure that the motherboard is working, I moved the other hds
around and I could see that the system at boot was finding the
new hd. But it would skip it.

Okay, your BIOS skips it - then my guess is that it is too big
although I didn't think there was any special BIOS limit around the
Terabyte level.

During the boot the system would find the first 3 disks and then wait
for 30-60 seconds. Then it would go on with the boot. I changed the
cables around making the new disk #3 and my older disk #4. When I
booted then it stopped at #3 for 30-60 seconds then skipped to #4 and
found my old disk at #4. So I then had disks at #1,#2, and #4.

I wonder about the disk being too big because the MB is about 3 years
old and back then there was nothing bigger than about 500gb.

I think I'll return it and get a little smaller one, say 600-750gb.

Silly question.. Did you swap cables or just the drive?

Mike