[opensuse] Re: Hardware problem
  • From: James Hatridge <James.Hatridge@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:33:02 +0200
HI Per,
On Sunday 14 June 2009 09:08:19 Per Jessen wrote:
James Hatridge wrote:
Hi all,

I got a Hitachi 1TB hd last week. I could not get my system to see it.

Hi Jim - _how_ was it not seen? Did the BIOS not recognize it?

I'm sure that the motherboard is working, I moved the other hds around
and I could see that the system at boot was finding the new hd. But it
would skip it.

Okay, your BIOS skips it - then my guess is that it is too big although
I didn't think there was any special BIOS limit around the Terabyte
level.

During the boot the system would find the first 3 disks and then wait for
30-60 seconds. Then it would go on with the boot. I changed the cables around
making the new disk #3 and my older disk #4. When I booted then it stopped at
#3 for 30-60 seconds then skipped to #4 and found my old disk at #4. So I
then had disks at #1,#2, and #4.

I wonder about the disk being too big because the MB is about 3 years old and
back then there was nothing bigger than about 500gb.

I think I'll return it and get a little smaller one, say 600-750gb.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.8°C)

Thanks,