Re: [opensuse] Re: Backup of NTFS file systems with Linux
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 02:21:43 +0200
On Sunday 14 June 2009 01:06, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:13:54 +0200, Malte Gell wrote:
My idea was to create a ntfs file system on an external USB harddrive
and make a backup of my Vista installation with the tar command. Would
be faster that using dd which also clones empty space.

This won't make the system recoverable. First, tar creates a file, so
the underlying filesystem doesn't matter. But tar only knows about *nix
filesystem permissions as well.

Have a look at something like Ghost for Linux (g4l) instead.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson

If you have space enough.. use dd to mirror the whole schabang??

--

/Rikard Johnels
< Previous Next >