[opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:41:53 +0200
On 13.06.2009, Linda Walsh wrote:

New and casual users will want to put everything in 1
partition. Make it xfs and lilo, they'll be happy. No
fsck, and if they power off their system, they won't corrupt
things -- they may lose everything anything recently written, but
maybe they should clearly know that they should set 'sync'
for disks that might just "go away"

There's a lot of reasons to have the separate /boot, as I wrote a few minutes
ago. Read it, and you'll see why the opensuse people do it that way.

If you want to have absolute reliability, go ahead and mount your xfs
filesystems with barrier support and turn off the disks write cache
(hdparm -W0), or mount your ext3 partitions with "data=journal". But don't
complain that your computers performance encounters max. downgrade and
suffers from long hickups in case of increasing I/O.

There was also a long discussion at the lkml a few weeks ago on this topic
you maybe should've read.