[opensuse] Re: Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:31:33 +0200
On 13.06.2009, Linda Walsh wrote:

AND please, people -- GET OFF the idea that '/boot' SHOULD be a
separate partition. It's 1) anachronistic, and 2) good _unix_ practice.

No, Linda, that's actually bad practice!

There's a lot of reasons to have a separate /boot Partition. You can mount
it ro to prevent damage to the boot system (as it is often done together
with /usr on high reliable servers). And consider an encrypted root fs
on a laptop, you'll need a separate /boot, too. And so on...

I also do the standard partitioning thing -- migrating over the
years based on OS and disk-constraints, but why not use XFS for
everything? It requires no fsck.

No fs "needs" any checks, unless you want a reliable and properly working
system.

Is just fine for nearly all general
user purposes -- it's robust and space efficient. The only downside --
which users rarely see is it takes seconds to delete thousands of files
instead of 10ths of a second.

Did you ever try to create an xfs partition by using

mkfs.xfs -f -l lazy-count=1,version=2 -i attr=2 -d agcount=4

mount it with

mount -o rw,noatime,logbsize=256k,logbufs=8,nobarrier

and re-run your benchmarks again? It can delete a lot of small files as
fast as ext3 does, maybe a little bit more slowly, but not in that range
that you describe here.