Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:31:50 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Experienced users too - it's been a long time since I've bothered
with a separate boot partition - not since lilo could only deal with
the first 1024 cylinders.

I always put a separate boot if I can, even if not needed.

By the way, the 1024 limit is from the bios, not actually lilo. Lilo
uses the bios to load (itself and others, I think).

No, it was a lilo restriction until lba32 (which is default now).

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-5.html :

"Thus, with lba32 there are no geometry problems and there is no 1024
cylinder limit. Without it there is a 1024 cylinder limit. "

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.1°C)