Re: [opensuse] VMware Server 1 on openSUSE 11.1 (was: grub no longer being maintained? ...)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:23:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-06-13 at 16:56 +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

At first this meant that I had to take a bit more care during
kernel updates, no really big deal. Then kernel updates made
impossible my usage of VMware Server 1 -- after that I stopped
applying kernel updates at all...

You have to re-run the vmware setup program after a kernel update. This
recompiles some modules, asks some silly questions, and then the server
works as always.

It would be great if the problem would be as trivial as that.

VMware Server 1.x kernel modules do not compile with kernel 2.6.27+
out of the box; one has to use some patches. (These are not the
ubiquitous vmware-any-any patches which dropped support for Server
1.x.) Up to and including 2.6.27.7-9-pae this worked more or less
decent; with the only problem that VMware time synchronization
doesn't work in Windows clients and needs to be done extra.
(Probably a problem with clocksources and/or hpet timer, it has not
been important enough for a full investigation.)

Ah... I see. I'm using 2.6.25.20 myself, on OS 11.0 still. That will be another problem to add to the list of problems I have with upgrading to 11.1 :-(

Just for the record, for Linux I use:

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
host.useFastclock = "FALSE"

in my "OpenSuSE 11.1.vmx" file. For windows (me) I have:

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

but I don't remember adjusting this one. The config for Linux is intentional: I don't need a precise and fast clock there, and uses less cpu this way.

Starting with kernel package 2.6.27.19-9.1, VMware instances with
Windows clients grab 100% of the host's CPU time when started. This
is what was meant when I wrote "made my usage of VMware Server 1
impossible". The patched VMware kernel modules still compile, but
between 2.6.27.7 and 2.6.27.19 several kernel config options have
been changed by SUSE that are related to virtualization and idle
handling, maybe it's one of those.

Well, in my case I see a high cpu usage on the host when I run vmware machines; not just now, but always. I actually limit it using the cpulimit utility.

OTOH, I also don't know if the problem would disappear if I switch
to VMware Workstation 6.x. (VMware Server 2 is not relevant owing
to its Web browser-based console interface and very heavy resource
usage.) That's not easy to test either as one cannot install both
Server 1.x and Workstation 6.x on the same system.

I think the same about server version 2, yes. Probably I should use the workstation version, but... dunno. Do you know the price, per chance? Just curious.

It's a drag, and not even related to getting real work done...

Well, if you can't run something, it can be more than a nuisance. It could block your job.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.