Re: [opensuse] JAVA conversion tool
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:09:00 +0100

Boris Epstein wrote:
Hi all,

This may be a bit off-topic but I am working on an OpenSuSE machine,
so here goes...

Can you recommend a tool to convert a bunch of legacy C code into Java?

Thanks.

Boris.

Why? It is more normal to port from inefficient to efficient languages,
and C is much more efficient than Java. Most C material should still be
compilable and usable.

If the need is to access the functionality of the C code from Java, then
rather than rewrite the code completely in Java I would look at the
rewriting of the function call handling so that the primary functions
can be called from within a Java application. (There may be tools to
automate the latter approach).

Translating code from a procedural non object orientated language to a
object orientated language is quite likely to generate unmaintainable
code as has been pointed out elsewhere.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup