Re: [opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 05:51:30 -0400
On 2009/06/13 00:39 (GMT-0700) Linda Walsh composed:

Pit Suetterlin wrote:

Linda Walsh wrote:

Grub has a few problems...
my 'boot' partition was too small, so I repurposed an unused partition
(named 'Boot', and renamed the old partition to 'OBoot').

So did you re-install grub after that? Else the MBR loader still points to
the old partition and loads what is there. That's not a bug, I'd say...

But my system is setup to only reference file systems
by "Label".

Grub and your "system" are two different things. Grub is a boot loader, a
mini-system designed for one purpose - starting up an OS boot. It doesn't
know much about Linux device names, UUIDs or partition labels.

The fact that grub isn't booting my new partition
indicates that the argument of moving to 'labels', so your boot
partition won't move around when you add or remove disks goes
right out the window.

When you change Grub's deps (adding, removing or resizing partitions), you
generally need to reconfigure Grub, which doesn't know anything about device
names, UUIDs, or volume labels.

So why jump through hoops for labels and booting w/grub
when they don't work yet and are buggy? Why not get the the boot
process working with labels before pushing everyone to convert to
pathnames or labels or UUID's that the boot managers apparently can't
work with?

Grub means "Grand unified bootloader". It's an intermediary step between POST
and OS boot. It does its thing without benefit of any OS. All the
modernization of Linux has its impact after Grub has done its job.
Configuring Grub still has to be done under Grub's own rules.

There are two Grubs. Grub 1 is what this thread has been about. Grub 1 bugs
are all being wontfixed in Grub's bug tracker. Grub 2 is modernized, but
since Grub 2 hasn't gone gold yet, openSUSE resources have not yet been
allocated to replacing Grub 1 with Grub 2.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/