RE: [opensuse] Suse 11.1 Yast asking for password for network changes

-----Original Message-----
From: David C. Rankin [mailto:drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 10:55 PM
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Suse 11.1 Yast asking for password for network
changes

James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

This is a first for me. Went to modify a network setting in Yast when
it asked me for a password. Never saw that before. Also, when using
ifdown as root, a password was requested for that too.

What service is causing this and how can I turn it off permanently.

Thank you for your help,

James

James,

My guess is ~/.kde4/share/config/kdesurc got messed up. If you
have been able to access yast, etc. without a password from your normal
user account, you must have had [super-user-command] set to sudo and
somehow the setting got messed up. If you have sudo configured, look at
kdesurc. To be able to access apps normally requiring the root password,
your kdesurc should look like this:

[Passwords]
Keep=true

[super-user-command]
super-user-command=sudo

The default in kde is to use kdesu which doesn't save the root
password and after you type it in say for yast, you would have to type it
again for konqueror-super-user, but you could then access both yast and
konqueror again in the same session without having to give the password
again. So the temporary save is on a per-app basis. kdesu is a giant pain
in that regard. I just got tired of waiting on the "approved kdesu"
solution to ever be invented and just use sudo. If you don't want to
modify kdesurc by hand, just copy and paste the following into the run
command or a terminal as your normal user:

kwriteconfig --file kdesurc --group super-user-command --key
super-user-command sudo

Thank you, David, for your reply.

I do not use X nor were any window managers installed; could kdesu really
be the culprit? The system starts in init3 and I run yast (ncurses) via an
ssh terminal and the password request pops through the yast session and
typing in your password doesn't get to the password request. Very strange.

I'll check if any kde elements were somehow installed.

Thanks again for your help.

James