Re: [opensuse] Why doesn't #dmraid bring up the man page in dolphin kde4?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:45:05 -0500
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <4A330302.4010605@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David C. Rankin wrote:
I'm trying to force myself to use dolphin and have it a bit of a snag. I
needed to view the dmraid man page so I did ctrl+t and entered #dmraid.
Nothing. Then I entered man://dmraid and dolphin locked up and the

I'm not sure dolphin is supposed to support man://, info://, etc. It is
meant to be "just" a file manager so, at best, it would attempt to "preview"
the contents.

This is just a guess though. I know kio_* is supposed to work for all
applications, but I'm not sure how that interacts with "custom" URL
handlers.

(I still use konqueror for everything. I do like the dolphinPart for
managing files though.)

I can tell you what I just went back to... and I can tell you what just got
removed from quicklaunch ;-) Fricking flipper. All that effort wasted on an app
that doesn't even have basic view capability for man and info pages built in??
That's really "new-user friendly". I guess they are just supposed to "guess" at
how Linux works now ;-)

Think about how much konqueror could have been improved if all those man-hours
that went into developing a second un-needed file manager for KDE had been put
into just making konqueror better. Honestly, after having used dolphin for a
week, I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between it and konqueror on the
surface. You look a little deeper and you begin to see the main difference is
just what dolphin "will not do" that konqueror does.

So in KDE4, we get a "new" dolphin and then a "new" konqueror where you can't
even push down on the details button and select 'tree view' anymore. Sometimes
I just shake my head.

Does anyone know if they keep statistics on how much time has been accumulated
in the development of kde app X or app Y? It would just be fun to take a look
at where the time went...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC