Re: [opensuse] dmraid disk failure - howto rebuild new disk - gparted hates Me :-(
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:34:08 -0500
David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

My Seagate drives are dropping like flies with less than 1400 hours of
run
time. (that's less than 58 days of service!)
<snip>
That's pretty much where I am now. My next thought is to just use dd to
copy
the partitions over. I have opensuse on the sda/sdc array (mapper
nvidia_fdaacfde), so the drives I am working with are not mounted anywhere and
should be easy to work with.

What says the brain trust? Can you think of any way I was screwing up
gparted
so it wouldn't even format the copy partitions? What about the dd method? Any
hints or gotchas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is what I'm going with:

dd bs=100M conv=notrunc if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdd

We shall see if it works...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC