Re: [opensuse] Suse 11.1 Yast asking for password for network changes
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 00:55:14 -0500
James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

This is a first for me. Went to modify a network setting in Yast when it
asked me for a password. Never saw that before. Also, when using ifdown as
root, a password was requested for that too.

What service is causing this and how can I turn it off permanently.

Thank you for your help,

James

James,

My guess is ~/.kde4/share/config/kdesurc got messed up. If you have
been able
to access yast, etc. without a password from your normal user account, you must
have had [super-user-command] set to sudo and somehow the setting got messed
up. If you have sudo configured, look at kdesurc. To be able to access apps
normally requiring the root password, your kdesurc should look like this:

[Passwords]
Keep=true

[super-user-command]
super-user-command=sudo

The default in kde is to use kdesu which doesn't save the root password
and
after you type it in say for yast, you would have to type it again for
konqueror-super-user, but you could then access both yast and konqueror again
in the same session without having to give the password again. So the temporary
save is on a per-app basis. kdesu is a giant pain in that regard. I just got
tired of waiting on the "approved kdesu" solution to ever be invented and just
use sudo. If you don't want to modify kdesurc by hand, just copy and paste the
following into the run command or a terminal as your normal user:

kwriteconfig --file kdesurc --group super-user-command --key super-user-command
sudo

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC