Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:04:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2009-06-12 at 08:07 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Friday June 12 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The issue was Grub not being able to write to the root directory
if it is formatted as an XFS partition.

No, that's not the issue. The issue is that both xfs and grub write
to the same place breaking one another. They are (were?) currently
incompatible.

I must be missing something. I'm running two openSUSE 11.1 systems with
XFS root file systems that boot with GRUB. What are the full set of
criteria for encountering this bad interaction between XFS root file
systems and GRUB? (By the way, my /boot is on my root file system, i.e.
XFS.)

As I said, the problem was noticed and reported originally in factory. Search the archive for the thread "XFS Boot Problem" last november.

+++ start ---
From: Josef Reidinger <>
Subject: Re: [opensuse-factory] XFS Boot Problem

OK, here is description why this could cause problems. From sources :)
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#grubwork

Q: Does GRUB work with XFS?

There is native XFS filesystem support for GRUB starting with version
0.91 and onward. Unfortunately, GRUB used to make incorrect assumptions
about being able to read a block device image while a filesystem is
mounted and actively being written to, which could cause intermittent
problems when using XFS. This has reportedly since been fixed, and the
0.97 version (at least) of GRUB is apparently stable.

JR
- --- end ++-

From: Jiri Srain <>
+++ start ---
You always need to write at least the block numbers of filesystem driver to
stage1 so that you are able to load it.

XFS does not have a space in boot sector for any booting code. This makes
impossible to have a system with /boot on XFS boot other way than installing
to an unrelated boot sector (if there is any available partition - really
don't recommend it) or to MBR (which e.g. removes the ThinkVantage button
functionality on ThinkPad laptops).

Jiri

http://en.opensuse.org/Bootloader/Scenarios

- -- Cheers,