Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:48:00 -0700
On Friday June 12 2009, Dan Goodman wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
I must be missing something. I'm running two openSUSE 11.1 systems
with XFS root file systems that boot with GRUB. What are the full
set of criteria for encountering this bad interaction between XFS
root file systems and GRUB? (By the way, my /boot is on my root
file system, i.e. XFS.)

As Heinz Diehl pointed out, earlier in this thread:
This should not be related to GRUB at all, the
main problem to have GRUB installed on a XFS formatted partition is
that XFS writes its superblock to sector 0 and the grub installer
overwrites it by default, and this results in not being able to
chainload.

And since grub is looking for its initial data in a location
somewhere within /boot on your root filesystem, that is not located
at sector 0, it does not overwrite XFS's superblock at sector 0, nor
does XFS clobber grub's data.

I'm having trouble sorting that out, but I think the answer might be
that the first partition on my boot volume (which _is_ the root file
system) starts at cylinder 2.

-Dan

Randall Schulz